Spring Time

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 13:39:17 MDT 2008

At 11:27 -0400 16/4/08, Jon Page wrote:

>I made a few springs by hand with a hinge pin mounted in a vise to form
>the coil but am interested in what is a suitable spring making tool. Possibly
>the one listed in the Schaff catalogue or someone's fabrication. Ideas? Pix??

I've had ready-made spring tools for years but never found a use for
them.  I make all my own springs except for a few types and make a
tool specially for every type of new spring.  I'll take some pictures
but the idea is simple.  Get a piece of 1/2" or so hardwood and make
a hole in it to hold a 6" length of hardwood dowel.  Glue the dowel
in the hole with the end flush with the top surface and screw into
its centre a screw the size you need to get the coil diameter you
want.  Saw off the head and file the top smooth.  You can also file
down the circumference of the shank to get just the diameter you
need.  To get the shape and curves of the spring, use centre pins,
washers, larger screws etc. and play about until you have things just
right.

>Also, I'll be making different wippen assist springs. The arm which attaches
>to the loop is too short and strained at rest. I've done some experimentation
>and found that a longer arm has a more fluid feel to it's affect and there is
>less of a tension change from rest to full key stroke. And according to
>Ron O, they need an extra coil.

Many piano springs are over-strained and an extra coil, where there
is room, will extend their range and life.  Upright damper springs
are always over-strained, for example and always need to be replaced
on old pianos.  Last month, by chance, I came across two 100 year old
uprights with actions by makers who had given the damper springs 3
instead of 2 coils, and the springs are as good as new.  You need to
adjust the gauge of the wire to get the required pressure, but there
is a net gain from more coils.  In the case of helper springs, such
as you are making, there is very little movement and the risk of
breakage is low compared with damper springs, butt springs etc.

JD