backchecks

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Apr 17 15:05:53 MDT 2008

Yes, I thought that too Marcel.

I replaced the check felts on a curtomer's Steinway Vertegrand (c1885) some
years ago.  The balance hammer leather was still good, but the check felt
very worn and had developed, on many of them, an odd "curl" of felt in the
middle of the check felt, which the balance hammers just bounced off.  As I
recall, I unscrewed all the heads off the wires, glued them to a strip of
check felt, then sliced between to separate, then screwed the heads back on.
That was a magnificent, and huge, upright.

Best regards,

David.

"Hold on guys, I was under the impression that the original question was for
backcheck FELTS on an upright.

Marcel Carey"