rebuilding an old kimball

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 17 15:21:27 MDT 2008

i'm looking into rebuilding an old kimball upright, ca 1905. it would be my first rebuild since my second year at NBSS. replacing hammers, dampers, felts, maybe springs, rebushing keys (farmed out), shimming and refinishing the SB, epoxying the bridge pins (no cracks to speak of, but just to be safe), reattaching any loose ribs, restring, and refinish the case.

i'd like to know even a ball park figure for what it might cost me to do so. maybe $1500 to $2000?

If you will be doing the refinishing, you should be able to do your proposed tasks for the material costs above.

from what i've read on the mailing list, i could sell it for anywhere from 4-8k.

Don't hold your breath. You'll get what the market will bear. My best guess is that you'd be luck to get $2,000 for it after your proposed tasks are completed. And depending on the condition of the piano, it might not even be worth $2K.

i know i might get some "but why" answers. i just want to get my hands dirty, or my feet wet, or whatever.

That may well be reason enough right there. But FWIW, it won't cost much more to do a no-name grand - and you will likely get more return for it. Also, if you do wish to do an upright, you can pick up a Mason & Hamlin or some other premium brand for next to nothing and rebuild that - at least it will have some potential for higher resale value.

please be concise as possible in your answers. i appreciate any input.

daniel carlton

Go for it. It'll be a great experience and you'll feel good about it.

Terry Farrell