Okay, what's yer guess?

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Fri Apr 18 07:04:55 MDT 2008

Mark,
That is it! I have worked on several Fender-Rhodes but never had hammers
like that. Harold Rhodes said he had the "simplest" arrangement for
operation. It is basically a "spoon". The "whippen" end is the part of the
spoon you would put in your mouth. He affixed the flange to that end. A big
block of wood at the end of the key interacts with that (the spoon) end of
the assembly. And the "sound producing"  or "tine" is a basic "tuning fork".
The damper is on a thin piece of metal and is pulled down from the tine and
the hammer rises from below the tine.  As an 'electronics' technician you
would see these faster than a piano technician.

Alan, google Fender-Rhodes and see who currently is supplying parts for
them. The later models had little rubber tips that were glued into a "U"
shape in the wood block at the end of the hammer shank.

Ken Gerler