stretching wire -- an anecdotal analysis

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 18 21:42:41 MDT 2008

> << Granted, this sounds reasonable, but why should such tightening of the
> slack
> in the coil happen slowly? What is the physical mechanism that causes this
> type of pitch drop to be time release? >>
>
> I assume it is the friction around the tuning pin which is slowly allowing
> the stress in the wire to overcome it.
> Anybody got any other ideas?

I think settling of the coil is a significant part of it,
along with the bending around the friction points, etc.
Everything in the universe is on the way to someplace else,
more or less. Nothing will stay where it is (now presumed to
be) forever, convenient as that might be. In the case of the
coil, temperature changes from hour to hour will change the
wire length, including that wrapped around the pin, and it
will tend to settle and tighten on the pin and lower the
tension in the string - to a point. Years later, settling the
coil will cause another pitch drop by overcoming the friction
around the pin that the temperature changes didn't. There are
a lot of things going on here, and trying to assign a 100%
effect to any one simple cause is just going to leave us in
continuing darkness.
Ron N