stretching wire -- an anecdotal analysis

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 19 09:50:53 MDT 2008

>   Thanks for the informative article. I wrote last week about false
> beats being introduced by over stretching in the first chipping's of
> newer Steinways,(or any piano) Now that this man has stated that
> permanent elongation can happen just prior to the string actually
> breaking has me asking at what point of breaking strain does this
> permanent elongation occur.

Strings permanently elongating just before breaking isn't
news. It's always been acknowledged.

>For example can a string permanently
> elongate in any section if pulled up 100 cents past it's intended
> tension. Or perhaps this only happens in the trebles where the false
> beats I objected to occur.

It's a meaningless question, put that way. If a string is at
30% of breaking tension, you can very likely pull it 200 cents
sharp without a problem. If it's already at 70%, you most
probably can't. Treble tensions tend to be at a higher break%.

>  Of course over pulling a nice short string puts an enormous amount of
> unscheduled strain on the bridge pins...........heeeeere we go!
>   Hmm?
>   Anybody
>   Dale

Probably not enough to immediately induce false beating if the
cap is new.
Ron N