stretching wire -- an anecdotal analysis

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 12:12:23 MDT 2008

> The following link may also be helpful, as it goes directly to the
> question of whether a string can experience plastic deformation despite
> being well under yield strength limits.

Thanks. From that page:

"...creep deformation does not occur suddenly upon the application of
stress. Instead, strain accumulates as a result of long-term stress. Creep
deformation is "time-dependent" deformation."

This sounds exactly like what we are talking about... until you get to this:

"Generally, the minimum temperature required for creep deformation to occur
is 30% of the melting point for metals."

By my calculations, that would be about 750 degrees F.
That is one hot piano.

Kurt