Desperate Deductions

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Apr 21 10:44:04 MDT 2008

>>Example: you buy a tool for $1,000.00.  It's a business expense, yes, but
it just cost you $1,000.00.  The tax on $1,000 might be around $150.00 (just
a guess).  Had you not bought the tool, you would still have in your pocket
the $850.00.  ($1000.00 - $150.00 = >>$850.00).  In effect, yes, you got the
tool for $850.00, but you no longer have the money that was used to purchase
it. :-)

But you do have the equity of the tool. This may prove to be more valuable
than the cash if the devaluation of the dollar continues to escalate.
Investing in tools is an investment, not an expense. It is an investment
that will not only be a tax write off, but hopefully (if done wisely) will
actually contribute to the bottom line and give you more free time. And good
quality tools will have resale value when you retire.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802