stretching wire -- an anecdotal analysis

"Rafael M. Huberman Muñiz" rafahuberman at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Apr 21 18:57:41 MDT 2008

Hi John,

I think that what you are wondering about is the relation between
tension, elasticity and overstretching of steel wire and of coarse its
friction. I would say that the most important point of all these is
the overstretching because thats the razor's edge between a stable
tuning and the breaking point. For a string to be stable, the wire has
to reach its tensile limit before overstretching. That limit its the
physycal limit of an elastic body to return to its original form
(size) after beeing stretched. Once you overstretch it, it will never
return to its original shape and will loose its flexibility properties
which are of a great concern to us tuners. An overstreched string will
loose its beautifull timbre (tone), will become dull and full of false
beats, not to mention that will also loose its stability because it
stops offering resistance. Imagine a rubber band that you stretch to
its limit and leave it like that for a couple of months, and then you
come back to it and is no tense any more, and if you take it off, you
will notice that it won't come back to the original size. Now, the
thing I mentioned before, the breaking point, you will reach it once
you get to the overstrech point and continue to apply tension (Very
obvious).
If you want all the numbers and formulas to calculate the precise
amount of tension required to have a specific length and size of wire
to have it "stable" I realy suggest that you read "The Piano: Its
acustics" by W. V. McFerrin. It has a lot of tables of tension for the
different wire sizes.
Remember that there is no sich a thing as a "stable tuning" per se.
The most detriment factor for inestability is humidity!

Good luck!

Rafael.

Rafael M. Huberman Muñiz

ArtePiano