stretching wire

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Apr 22 02:58:59 MDT 2008

ROLF !!   I know... If I was a 14 year old girl right now I think I'd be
just plain ready to pee my pants !

    Re: stretching wireI'm so excited, I just can't hide it, awaiting
    the test results.

    Al Guecia

Seriously tho..  I'm not quite sure I understand who stands for what
position any more.... or just what the different parties here have
decided the word stretch means. Somehow it has begun to look like the
word <<creep>> has taken on a meaning not quite compatible with the word
<<stretch>> ... as tho a string can possibly experience creep while not
really stretching... ?&/%#"??

One thing lacking in all this discussion, which seems in the end to try
and explain partially at least how a piano can loose up to 200 cents or
more of pitch when left to itself for many many years... is if there is
no stretching of the strings (however you phrase it)... then what can
account for that amount of change ?

And before anyone re-hashes the difference between plastic and elastic
elongation... dont :)

Cheers  .... grin
RicB