Clever Key Cleaning Customer

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Apr 22 14:30:57 MDT 2008

Yesterday I visited a new client. They have a small undistinguished 1920s
(overstrung underdamped) upright, fairly recently acquired.

I noticed that about half the keys (celluiloid or some other plastic) were
very bright and white.  Of the remainder, half were very discoloured but
clean, and the rest discoloured and extremely grubby.

The chatty and pleasant 14 year old daughter, the one takiing lessons,
explained that they had cleaned the keys themselves. I asked how they
managed it, and that normally the safest thing was just a damp cloth and a
little detergent. She said they had tried a variety of things, including the
damp cloth with detergent, but that this had only cleaned off the grime, but
not made the keys white.

"So how did you get them white" I asked, fascinated.  The answer?  Nail
Polish Remover!  I asked what kind it was, explaining that they usually
contain a fair amount of acetone, which would be liable to dissolve
celuloid.  She went and got the bottle and I had a sniff, and read the
contents. Sure enough it contains acetone, but not, it seems, in a very high
concentration, and along with many other ingredients. The mother said it
seemed quite a mild one and took a while to remove nail polish.

I tried "cleaning" a couple of keys with it myself, using a small swab of
cotton wool and it worked like magic!  A quick buff almost immediately after
with a clean cloth left the surface with a sheen, and pearly white.

I guess what is happening, is that the liquid is just strong enough to
dissolve off a very thin layer, the discoloured layer, of celluloid, without
damaging the surface at a deeper level.

I'm amazed, and am rushing off to buy a bottle of that brand of nail polish
remover!

In the pic, what you see from bottom to top is:

1) Grimy unntouched key
2) Key cleaned with detergent,  clean but discoloured
3) Key cleaned with the Nail Polish  Remover
4) Key half cleaned by me, one simple stroke of the swab with the nail
polish remover.

It worked just as well on the fronts as on the tops.

Best regards,

David