Grieg Experiment

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 23 13:41:42 MDT 2008

Nice recording, Ric.
Is any of it 100% wax cylinder? The sound is pretty good on those sections.
Nothing radical about the use of 435hz as a pitch standard for 1900.
Given recent discussions about downbearing and soundboard stiffness, it
isn't a wild leap to suppose that an instrument will have an optimal
response to some particular string tension.
(My 1892 Mathushek has it's original strings in good condition. I'll explore
this when the action is restored and playing.)
Ed Sutton