Grieg Experiment

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Apr 23 16:27:17 MDT 2008

Hi Ed

Can you discern a temperament from the bits that come from the original
Grieg recording then ?  That asked... I almost tagged a few words to
that last post along the lines you are hinting at here. That overall
tension can affect board response is quite clear to me at this point...
but perhaps tension dispersion has some influence as well.  Might be a
bit more difficult to chart tho.

Cheers
RicB

    Ed Van der Foote writes

    Did anyone consider that Grieg may have been writing for a different
    intonational palette than our modern "perfected" ET?   The pitch was
    different
    in Grieg's time, and virtually all the evidence supports that the
    temperament
    was, too.  What would the results would have been like had the piano
    been
    tuned not only at the original pitch, but also in the style of late
    19th century
    tuners?