Web Hosting

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 07:53:50 MDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I am in the process of beginning work on a website.  I see some of your
> sites actually have forms people fill out online to schedule a tuning.  Does
> that work well?
>
> Where would be a good place to look for hosting packages?  I am not too
> familiar with HTML coding so preferably a hosting package that allows me to
> simply point and click.

I use GoDaddy for hosting, but there are others ... like www.1and1.com.  (In
fact, I've been wanting to change over from GoDaddy because of their
advertising (the buxom female that doesn't seem to want to wear much in the
first place, or stay in her shirt in the second place) ... but my email
address is tied to their servers, and down time with a change, and ... well,
I just haven't taken time to do it yet.)

One free thing that would be user-friendly is to buy your web domain (e.g.
www.toddpianoworks.com).  Then "point" that domain to your blog site (like
wordpress.com or blogspot.com).  You can design a decent looking site via
wordpress.com that is basically point and click.   There are limitations
(since the service is "free"), but it might work well if you're in the
process of building your business and didn't want to spend much money on web
advertising.  All it would cost is $10 per year for the domain, and then the
blog site is free.

As your business grows, you will probably want to spend more money for a
nicer site.  I'd recommend finding a professional designer and have him do
the site for you.  It will save you much money in the long run, and look
nicer too (unless you're coming from a web design background and know how to
do that sort of thing).

--
JF