Young Chang brackets - again

Ken and Sharon Schneider 1stpianoman at mchsi.com
Fri Apr 25 13:41:16 MDT 2008

I have done about 8-10 replacements of brackets. Now, I automatically drill
out all of the screw holes with a 1/8 " bit and fill with a 1/8" dowell
glued in to the hole. I then chisel all end shims from the key frame. While
the dowels are drying, I install the brackets on the stack and try to set
the flange pin to whippen dimension as close as possible-(pay attention to
which vintage YC you are working on; there are two sets of dimensions) After
the dowels are dry, I reset and re-align the stack to the capstans.

I then clamp the stack and frame to my bench and see if I have enough key
travel and hammer travel to be "in the ball park" for future regulation. If
this works, I then drill the new holes for the screws, using a long bit for
the slanted middle brackets. These screws go in last. Before tightening, I
rte-shim the frame ends to the stack. Total time about 1 hour not including
regulating.