boring hammers

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 25 15:05:14 MDT 2008

Hi Stéphane

You've gotten most of the answers you need so I'll just add this short
comment.  I asked Steinway and Sons about this buisness about rake,
perpendicular to shank at strike vs perpendicular to the string at
strike.. etc etc... and they said that no factory in the world really
has time to pay much attention to any of that.  Some factories figure
the bore length the way it is commonly defined here on this list...
string to key bed distance - hammer center to keybed distance, some just
have a standard length they impose.  They said outright this is an area
that the lone one man shop tech can most definitely improve on a
factories work... but then on the other hand the value of that
improvement was in general for the most part questionable... depending
on the quality of the factory we are talking about.

I know there are those with passionate views about.  And I do not mean
to rile anyones feathers... I am just repeating what I heard.  I might
add I have heard basically the same story from Yamaha, Schimmel, Petrof,
Bechstein and Bosendorfer.

For my part... I continue at present to make the hammer perpendicular to
the shank at string impact.  Tho I am starting to take a closer look at
what this results in in terms of offset angle to the string.  I may
adjust my proceedure in the future if I see a good enough reason to do so.

Cheers
RicB