not too much badmouthing please

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Apr 26 05:17:08 MDT 2008

Les !!... I am quite sure I dont see your problem.  Just say you dont
work on old pianos and ask her to get someone else.  And why on earth
would you insist on tuning the thing to 440 in the first place ? The
instrument obviously falls into the category of historical and one has
every excuse in the world not to tune to 440.

I suggest you locate someone nearby who actually is motivated to work on
very old instruments, refer her to that person and wash your hands of it.

In anycase.... whats the big deal ?

Cheers
RicB

    I got an email from some girl who actually as paid money for an
    upright piano she says is about 125 years old..........   I don't
    know WHY she did this, but I somehow expect that "it looked so
    quaint and like an antique". She wishes me to actually attempt to
    tune the thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What have I
    done to deserve this?   Anyhow, assuming (and I can't even find a
    comment for that) it is tuneable, can it be brought up to 440, or
    would one at all costs keep the pitch significantly lower.   I'm
    praying it will fall off a truck in the move, but fear I might have
    to face it.  So, without making me pay too much for this obvious
    reward of past sins, a bit of help, please?  I'm scared already, and
    have been blessed not to see it to date...

    les bartlett