Hard Hammers

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 12:52:16 MDT 2008

At 03:09 -0600 27/4/08, David Nereson wrote:

>...   Yet Mr. Jolly says he uses just one #1 needle (on new Renner
>blues) which he drives all the way in until it touches the molding.
>I countered that many hammers are too dense to allow a needle to go
>all the way in to the molding.  He said, "Oh, sure it will."  But I
>know this is not the case.  I've tried it many times.  Oh, you could
>pound it in, maybe and break the needle and/or the shank.

For deep toning the old-fashioned way is to use a single glover's
needle in a broach-holder.  These have a triangular section and can
be twisted as you push them in.  As you do this the fibres are forced
apart.  One method is to drive them down through the flank of the
hammer parallel to the moulding.  It all depends what part of the
dynamic range you want to modify.

Perhaps this would be the one, but without a full-size picture it's
hard to say:

<http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5012-040-005>

I forget where I last got mine.

JD