Buzzing at the bridge pin?

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:16:44 MDT 2008

I tuned a 30ish yr old Young Chang today that had a scattering of notes that
had
a distinct buzzing coming from at least one string in the unison. There were
about
5 of these notes, from the bass to tenor.

Troubleshooting showed that the buzzing seemed to be happening at the front
(termination point) bridge pin. No cracks. The pin was loose enough to
wiggle
a tad, but not loose enough to pull out with my fingers, even with the
string
removed.

A previous tuner had "solved" the problem by putting a paper shim (about two
thicknesses of a business card) on top of the bridge, under the strings.

This seemed to stop the buzzing.

Any idea what is going on here, and what is the right way to fix it?

[kurt]