[pianotech] dremel tool

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Dec 1 13:20:23 PST 2008

David:

Mike is certainly faster than I am if he can do it in 15 minutes, but you can do a pretty respectable job quickly with one.  The Dremel is particularly handy when you have to do a GROSS change in shape - you know, the flat top hammer.  That requires a lot of felt to be removed and the Dremel does it in a hurry.

On a moderate hammer reshaping job I prefer using the 6-hammer wide sanding strip.  I start with 50-grit paper (cut apart belt sander material) and do the gross removal then finish with single hammer width finer emery cloth.  I can generally do a full set of moderately worn hammers in an hour.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>