[pianotech] cleaning/restoring tone of bass strings

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Tue Dec 2 06:49:28 PST 2008

Hi Wim,

I pointed them out to him.  He and I went together to evaluate the piano prier to purchase.  He would have noticed when he played it though.  The bridge seems to be fine, the hammers need to be filed but otherwise things are good.  Well...  Good except these 4 strings.  The piano was pretty dusty inside and I expect that turning and rolling these 4 will do the trick.  I had recalled the tip about cleaning in the PTJ though and wanted to give it a try.  I just couldn't recall what was used.  The strings that are "dead" are not all that bad, they could be brighter though.  The piano was rebuilt and refinished in the early 80s and not played much after.  Its a steal for the price he paid.  He knows that it will need some work to bring it up to its highest potential and he is willing to do that work, but he told me prier to the evaluation that he don't have a lot of money to sink into it at the current time.  So, we'll do what we can.

Thanks,
Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563
www.shawnbrock.com