[pianotech] Tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:53:24 PST 2008

I tend to agree with Dean here ... at least from a financial standpoint. A
Winter spinet is pretty easy to tune.  There are only about 20 bass strings,
right?  And no matter how one tunes it, it will  still sound bad.  So just
get in there, do the fastest and best you can do, and be done with it.  The
easiest tuning in the world 'cause you don't hafta fuss over it.  :-)
I'd work the service call into two service calls.  The first appointment
raises the pitch to A440 in two rough tuning pitch raises.  The second
service call does the fine tuning.  Should be around 1.75 hours total, and
easily would get $200 or more.  I once worked one of these "unwanted" jobs
as an exchange for some new musicians earplugs.  The audiologist and I
simply swapped out. I was happy, and he was happy.  But that's another
story.

>From the standpoint of enjoying it, no ... I would not enjoy tuning the
little beast.  But I didn't enjoy tuning a rebuilt Steinway beast today
either. :-)  All that capo and duplex noise, and inconsistent pin tightness
-- ick!

--
JF

--