[pianotech] More volume

Arlie Rauch adarpub at midrivers.com
Tue Dec 2 21:32:32 PST 2008

Just an update since several of you gave advice on getting more
volume out of the nine-foot Baldwin.

I serviced the piano yesterday.  I experimented with strike point
(which seemed the likely culprit because of what the music minister
told me), but it seemed weaker at other positions.  I experimented
with let-off with no better results.  The soundboard, bridges, etc.
looked good.  I had difficulty checking for crown because the bottom
was much hidden by beams and humidifier equipment--the jury is out on
that one.

Finally I decided to tune before doing anything else.  After tuning I
decided to file one hammer that seemed noticeably softer than its
neighbor.  I did not file dramatically, but when I pushed the action
back in, the note sounded much better.  I then tried other notes, and
they were also speaking better.  I don't know if I hadn't tried
exactly that strike point before, but now the piano came alive as if
it had been set free.

So the culprit was the strike point.  Now I may even start to like
this piano.  The difference was dramatic.  Thanks to all who weighed
in.  I was very happy, but I must say that I happened upon the
solution providentially.  My other pianos on this trip (100 miles
from home) were all routine.

Arlie Rauch