[pianotech] Wippen Modification

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 16:27:08 PST 2008

I encountered an interesting scenario a few weeks ago. An older S&S B
which had been rewhatevered. The Let Off was about 1/4" away from
the strings and the buttons were backed up to the rail. The Drop screw
was bottomed out on the flange as well.

Raising the stack 1/8" to bring the Hammer Center closer in relation to
the hammer bore didn't help much since the string height was a touch
high. New wippens didn't solve anything.

In order to get the adjustments closer now and for future wear I modified
the wippens by lowering the upstop cushion by the thickness of the cushion
by notching the end of the rep lever. I also lowered the height of the tip of
the jack by about 1/16" (.060").

This allowed both the Let Off and Drop screws to be lowered and still get
the hammer to release closer to the string. The upstop cushion contacted
the screw at a better angle too.

After removing the upstop cushion, I notched the lever on the band saw
and reglued the cushion with glue only on the perimeter to reduce contact
noise. The jack tip was trimmed on a drum sander, a fence determined height
and the curve was done free-hand; Dag applied and burnished.

Works like a charm.
--

Regards,

Jon Page