[pianotech] Twin Dollies

Gerald Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Fri Dec 5 07:32:27 PST 2008

Bill,
Agreement with Isaac that a solo installation is easiest with an upright tipper. MAJOR WORD OF CAUTION:  Be sure to clamp the piano onto the tipper (use C clamps or other similar types) If you don't there is a really good probability that when the dolly reaches the ground, the angles of the higher casters (on dollie) in relation to the position of the factory casters will cause the piano to kick out from under the tipping cradle.  Yes, I speak from experience personally, as well as watching others do the same thing.  Not a fun experience and often a major (unnecessary) repair. This kick out is caused from the short tangs on the tiping device. Only logical resolve is to prevent the possibility in the first place by clamping the piano to the tipper.
Happy piano tipping, although not as much fun as with Cows  :{0
Gerry Cousins,RPT

Subject: Re: [pianotech] Twin Dollies  Hi,Bill!
Piano shop tilter does the trick  for installation....I would reccomend to observe an experienced tech to do it...I will teach repeat class on that topic in Grand Rapids,so,hope to see you there.....As everything else,installing the Twin dollies is not as complicated,as it looks-it's even more so...There are a few tricks in tipping piano over without injuring yourself or dropping a piano....Hope,it helps....Isaac