[pianotech] Refinishing ebony sharps?

Bill Costanzo pnotuner at rochester.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 05:24:18 PST 2008

Kurt, There's one spray can that works well: Krylon SEMI-FLAT Black #1613.
Wash the keys thoroughly with lacquer thinner and or denatured alcohol (pour
a little in a small container and dip either paper towels a small rag, or if
they are really gunked up 0000 steel wool) let them dry and spray away. I've
done dozens of sets of keys like this and never had a problem with
crazing/cracking.  Don't forget good ventilation and an appropriate
respirator.  The semi flat finish looks great, is easy to apply, and very
durable.   Of course if the wood is really ebony you could chose to just
clean and clear coat them. A wipe on polyurethane is easy to apply. On the
other hand if they are badly chewed up, nothing will make them look good;
replace them. Hope this helps.

Bill Costanzo

  _____