[pianotech] Joe Garrett's recipe for TP bushings

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Dec 6 17:58:39 PST 2008

My guess is that when backing off the pin the bushing rose up with it but
didn't settle back down when the pin was turned down.  It probably doesn't
matter functionally.  You could, if you want, remove the string from the pin
and tap the bushing down using a becket breaking tool or something similar
that will slip over the tuning pin.  Don't know if I'd bother though.

I believe Ron Overs glues in the tuning pin bushings when they are
installed.  Whether that aids in preventing cracking I don't know, but it
will prevent them from rising up when you back out a tuning pin.

My own experience with tuning pin bushings is that they don't split if they
are a tight fit, tight enough that they need to be slightly driven into the
plate.  If you can insert them with your fingers, they are too loose and
will split.  If they are driven and thereby slightly compressed they won't.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com