[pianotech] Joe Garrett's recipe for TP bushings

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Dec 6 19:35:14 PST 2008

PDF is typically a type of varnish without all the driers and other
additives, just the pure resin.  Synthetic reducer is the thinner.
Depending on the type of resin the thinner might be xylene or mineral
spirits.  The PDF that I use requires xylene.  The PDF lubricates the pin
for driving it in (thus the name) and perhaps the wood fibers lining the
hole go through a bit less stress and/or damage during that process.  When
the pin is first driven it feels quite loose, though it doesn't slip when
the tension is pulled up.  Once the PDF dries (about a day) the torque firms
up and the movement of the pin is very smooth and uniform.  I've used it for
several years now.  It adds a step to the process of stringing but I like
how it eases the driving of the pin somewhat and the feel of the block
afterwards.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com