[pianotech] Scary Experience

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Dec 7 13:48:18 PST 2008

Hi Dale:

I agree with everything you say.  Definitely good advice.  I would add only
that it is my custom in rebuilding to install plate bushings whenever
possible if a piano lacks them - I'll ream out the tuning pin hole and
install the modern narrower plate bushings.  I certainly do this on every
Mason and Hamlin I rebuild that does not originally have bushings, as the
plate is often pretty thick and it gives more support to the pin, as well as
eliminates the possibility of the pin binding against the plate.   It adds
only about an hour to the rebuilding process, and makes your life or someone
else's life as the tuner easier.

Will Truitt