[pianotech] (no subject)

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 7 15:28:38 PST 2008

David,

They can sell personal property to a non-profit organization and take the
difference between the cash they received and the Fair Market Value of the
personal property as a tax write-off, if the non-profit gives them a
donation receipt for that difference in value.  See:

"In general, § 1.170A-1(h) provides that if a taxpayer transfers to a
charitable organization cash or property that is partly a charitable
contribution and partly in consideration for goods or services, the taxpayer
is allowed a charitable contribution deduction for the excess, if any, of
the cash or fair market value of the property transferred over the fair
market value of the goods or services the organization provides in return.
See also United States v. American Bar Endowment, 477 U.S. 105, 117-118
(1986); Rev. Rul. 67-246, 1967-2 C.B. 104. "

See: http://www.irs.gov/irb/2005-25_IRB/ar09.html

Karen Lile
Appraiser
Piano Finders