[pianotech] new board evaluation

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Dec 7 15:52:06 PST 2008

 What's the back scale length of A-0?
 95mm

 Not an awful lot. Is that all the room there was?

 Bass rescaled?
Only slightly - reduced spl to get slightly longer tail lengths.

 What was the original A-0 back scale?

 What's the core diameter of A-0?
 .058

 Still fairly stout.
>>>My mistake on the core wire it is really .061" - sorry about the
>>>misinformation.
 I'd say it's likely a combination the
 board being too stiff, with the back length, and core diameter
 contributing. Up to about 6-1/2' (200cm) I float the tail
 around the low bass too. The bridge is for sure clearing the
 edge of the plate, right?

I recently had an embarrassing
 reminder of how easily that can happen.

 What "design" board did you build?
>> Radius cut ribs - 60 ft in the bass and tapering to the treble - 16
>> total. Made from quartered Sitka. Glue up at around 6 to 6.5 mc.

 What method did you use to determine the count and
 dimensioning of the ribs?

Kept the ribs taller than wide and spaced them on the unisons so that a
known load was applied to each rib.
Designed rib hight and width so that calculated deflection and max load
capacity looked good. Deflection ranged from .250" in the lo bass, .450" at
rib #7 and .036" at the top treble. Also considered available crown based on
radius and how much of it I wanted to use for bearing.
The load carrying capacity of the ribs ranged from 27 lbs in the lo bass, 52
lbs at rib #7 and 90 lbs at the top treble.

 The board was not cut off in the bass but the inner rim gluing surface
 was built up with epoxy and veneer to accomidate the part of the board
 that did not want to go down on the rim without a struggle.

 Why not, and why?

Board thickness is 9mm - on the fat side - no diaphraming.
Again, why

One thought along this line that I did have was my experience when I visited
David Rubenstein's 12' piano. It has a 1/2" thick board and the tone is very
dark with tremendous power - I really liked it. This probably influenced me
somewhat.

Gene