[pianotech] Tack Piano Results and Observations

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 10:43:00 PST 2008

Tom

Did you use thumb tack, with a rounded, oval head ,or flat headed tacks? If you used thumb tacks with a rounded head, the reason the piano sounded softer would be that the tack actually only hit one string. That would account for the piano sounding much softer.

It's interesting that the sound produced dulcimer like. Which makes sense, since a dulcimer is hit with a wood mallet. I worked on a piano once with a steel soundboard. (I'm not kidding). The sound was very much like the steel drums of the Caribbean.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943