[pianotech] Rusty Steinway M

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Mon Dec 8 19:12:03 PST 2008

Steven,

                What about mold? Water weight in the hammers would make it
sound significantly different to your customer. Can you dry a hammer and
iron the shoulders enough to see if it can be brought back tonally? If there
is a significant amount of rust it will need to be restrung. I’d certainly
want to dry out the board quite a bit. Do you notice any compression ridges?
How about warped keys etc.? This might be a candidate for totaled. Get the
insurance claim and have her buy another. This is why we all carry insurance
anyway isn’t it? Seems this isn’t a frivolous or fraudulent claim.

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com

216-226-3791 (office)