[pianotech] FW: Piano Technicians and Populations

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 07:17:36 PST 2008

Floyd, Your basic concept is good, however, your locksmith friend can pretty much depend on the majority of the population having at least one lock per family. If you are considering moving or starting a new service business, I would look more to studies that show how many pianos per capita, how many techs in that area, and possibly how many retail piano stores.   When working full time as a service tech, I operated off a client list of about 1,500 in a city with a population of 2 million and was very busy.  I would estimate that there were about 30 people in the area calling themselves piano techs.  CAUT has done research on how many pianos 1 tech can keep happy at the University level. NAMM might be a resource for pianos per capita in major cities. And, YES, there a many variables that will determine one's success other than the ratio of techs to pianos in an area, including technical skill level, personality, communication skills, business ethics, blah, blah, blah.Michael Spreeman www.RavenscroftPianos.com

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live