[pianotech] Piano Technicians and Populations

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Wed Dec 10 15:40:45 PST 2008

One way to approach this is by reverse-engineering the classical Fermi
problem "How many piano tuners are there in Chicago?" Fermi, a brilliant
scientist, taught his students to estimate based on fragmentary information.
Here's the Wikipedia summary:

 *The classic Fermi problem, generally attributed to Fermi, is "How
many **piano
tuners* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_tuner>* are there in
**Chicago*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago>
*?" A typical solution to this problem would involve multiplying together a
series of estimates that would yield the correct answer if the estimates
were correct. For example, we might make the following assumptions:*

   1. *There are approximately 5,000,000 people living in Chicago. *
   2. *On average, there are two persons in each household in Chicago. *
   3. *Roughly one household in twenty has a piano that is tuned regularly.
   *
   4. *Pianos that are tuned regularly are tuned on average about once per
   year. *
   5. *It takes a piano tuner about two hours to tune a piano, including
   travel time. *
   6. *Each piano tuner works eight hours in a day, five days in a week, and
   50 weeks in a year. *

*From these assumptions we can compute that the number of piano tunings in a
single year in Chicago is*
 *(5,000,000 persons in Chicago) / (2 persons/household) × (1 piano/20
households) × (1 piano tuning per piano per year) = 125,000 piano tunings
per year in Chicago. *

*And we can similarly calculate that the average piano tuner performs*
 *(50 weeks/year)×(5 days/week)×(8 hours/day)×(1 piano tuning per 2 hours
per piano tuner) = 1000 piano tunings per year per piano tuner. *

*Dividing gives*
 *(125,000 piano tuning per year in Chicago) / (1000 piano tunings per year
per piano tuner) = 125 piano tuners in Chicago.*

Are these assumptions anywhere near correct? You may not want to do 20
tunings a week and it is safe to say that you might want to survive on an
average of 10 per week. That's 500 tunings a year as a survival level.
Is there one piano per 20 households? Or is the Kimball estimate of 19%
(about one piano per five people) closer? This will of course vary with the
general cultural level of the area. (We might guess that Philadelphia will
have more pianos per thousand people than, say, Waco, Texas.) (No offense to
Waco.) if we split the difference and suppose one piano per 20 people ...
then those 500 pianos live in a population of 10,000.

How many PTG-known piano tuners are in Chicago anyway?
jason's cell 425 830 1561
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonkanter