[pianotech] Removing Glue

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Dec 14 06:22:49 PST 2008

I'd suggest Hot Hide Glue.  As you've learned, it's easily removable should it need to be done again, sets quickly, and doesn't absorb too far into the felts you are gluing as long as it's not prepared way too thin, or applied way too thick.  Not only that, but as (I think) JD pointed out, to get a good glue joint you don't really even need to get all the residue off before gluing the next time.  Good stuff

William R. Monroe

        Thanks to all for the suggestions involving glue removal.  I used hot water and vinegar letting it really soak in and it went much faster this time. In re-felting the back rail and dampers, etc., what is the best adhesive - hide glue? PVC-E?, burnt shellac? Suggestions?
        Thanks,
        Denis Kelly