[pianotech] burning WNG shanks?

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Mon Dec 15 13:01:11 PST 2008

That is correct. The shanks are very rigid but after about five seconds of heat gun application, the hammer shank twists quite easily and feels like a wet noodle. Hold in place and the shank will become rigid once again, after a few more seconds. It takes some getting used to, but I found that in the end I had more control over the angle than wood and it stays put. No reheating the next day or the next week.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545