[pianotech] Verituner Help...

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:13:22 PST 2008

Yes, there is a learning curve with anything new!

Two major differences between Coarse and Fine mode:

Fine mode - locks all calculated pitches as they are tuned.  The machine tries to calculate all
new notes to those already tuned.  As the machine learns more and more about the piano
based on the measurements, it only calculates for the untuned notes.
(Not a very good approach, in my opinion)

Coarse mode - whenever new information comes to the machine, it recalculates the entire
tuning based on the new information.  While this ends up with having the machine use all
the info possible, it just so happens that some of those notes you tuned earlier might
need to be moved...

So, this brings up the possibility of either:

1. pre-sampling before tuning
2. two pass tuning

My personal preference is to tune with overpull in coarse mode, and then finish up in fine mode.
It is possible to combine the first pass as a pre-tune/pre-sampling pass to come up with
a better match for the first pass.  Also investigate custom styles to better match the piano.
Even a piano only 10 cents off to start will get an overpull of about 3 cents in the middle.
If you don't overpull, you will continue to chase the pitch through many passes to get
to A=440.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland