[pianotech] interesting alternative tuning experience

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Tue Dec 16 19:17:36 PST 2008

You neglected to mention if there had been a change in the humidity?
I always mark the  temperature and humidity on the bill.
If the humidity changes, say during a season change, the pitch can
change in less time than that.
If you tuned during the heating season, and then returned when the
weather was warm and/or the furnace off.
The humidity would be higher, along with the pitch.

John Ross
On 16-Dec-08, at 8:27 PM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> List,
>
> I just had my second go-around at trying to get a piano that had
> been tuned in an unusual way for a long time back to "normal".  It
> was in a tuning that had some notes near normal tension, others up
> to a quarter-tone flat, and still others as far sharp(!).  In
> addition, the piano had been in that tuning for the past eight years
> (most of them in Germany--it is a 1904 Schwechten grand with a
> bridge design I've not seen before).
>
> On my first visit to start the long journey home to equal
> temperament at A=440, I started by doing a pass using the pitch-
> change function on anAccutuner (which determines off-sets for each
> note independently of what came before, and I measured for every
> note).  That got it close enough to follow immediately with a
> straight machine tuning (with recalculated FAC), unisons-as-you-go
> from A0 to C8.  The piano had been vastly transformed, although I
> cautioned that there were no guarantees how long it would sound in
> tune.
>
> The owner reported that the piano s tarted going out of tune within
> weeks of the last servicing.  When I returned for a follow-up visit
> three and a half months later, I was unprepared for what I
> encountered.  Some notes, the ones that had been sharp, had crept
> back up in pitch, many nearly 100% (!!) of the way back up to where
> they had been for those eight long years.
>
> I've done many alternate tunings, almost always lowering pitch and
> never raising individual notes more than 10 cents or so.  But after
> a pitch-raise and a tuning or two, things have always returned to
> normal in a rather predictable way.  I have never tuned notes 50
> cents sharp nor have I ever left an alternative tuning on a piano
> for more than a few weeks at a shot.  (Last week we tuned a concert
> grand to select instruments from one of our Balinese gamelans, but
> the piano spent less than a week from the first "Balinese" tuning to
> the retuning to ET @440.)
>
> Has anyone else out there had any experience with notes and/or
> entire pianos being tuned sharp for prolonged periods of time?  If
> so, did you observe the same kind of behavior upon retuning?  What
> would be the most efficient way to get it back to "normal"?
>
> Thanks & Happy Holidays,
>
> Alan Eder
>
> Listen to 350+ music, sports, & news radio stations – including
> songs for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada