[pianotech] Verituner help

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Wed Dec 17 06:11:09 PST 2008

Duaine wrote:
-----  That is why aural tuning should be taken out of the RPT tests -
meaning the machine can make a better tuning than aurally. -----

Duaine,
I beg to differ.  I learned to tune with an Accutuner I.  A wise older tech
insisted that I learn to tune aurally.  He told me that it would make me a
better tuner.  He was right.

The machines can make a very CONSISTENT and acceptable tuning and increase
your speed.  But it is well known that there can be better places to put some
or many notes than where the machine has calculated.  I now use Tunelab,
because I like the smaller size and some of the other features.  But I aurally
check and correct (if necessary) every note.  I am a better tuner because of
my aural skills.

I remember a tuning early in my career when my Accutuner blinked out.
 Fortunately I had finished the middle of the piano, but I had to do the
higher reaches then by ear.  I didn't really know what I was doing, I just
tried to make the octaves reasonable.  It was NOT a good tuning.  (Thankfully
the customer forgave me and I still tune her pianos.)  Nowadays if I don't
like where Tunelab is going I simply shut it off and do the tuning aurally.  I
AM a better tuner because of my aural skills and the RPT exam MUST have aural
testing, in my view.

Duaine, I respectfully suggest that you do more than one class at a
convention.  Get tutoring/mentoring on one small concept at a time, or go
through the PACE books, or both, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.  You CAN get
it.  But "argue for your limitations and you surely shall have them."

John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT