[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Dec 17 12:01:07 PST 2008

Duaine writes:

<< RPT - what really is that and credibility to who. Yes, to yourself - and

- to the guild.<<

       That is more than enough for many of us. It allows one's peers to
understand another's abilities, as measured by a third party.

>>Based on where I am, geographically, RPT means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the

customers - most of them have no idea what that is and don't care !<<

    Very few of us took the tests for customers,  we took it to prove to
ourselves that our skills were sufficient to meet the minimum standards.

>>Yes, if I study real hard, I probably could pass the tests. But why

commit to memory, things that can easily be looked up.<<

        If you have to study real hard to pass these tests, you are still a
beginner. The tests are easily passed by any competent technician. As far as
committing to memory the basic skills of the trade, would you like a doctor that
pulled a book out everytime he tried to diagnose your ailments?

>>In 2000, before I got laid off, I was making $56,000 per year.  Add 8

years onto that, who is making that kind of money now ?<<

     Virtually every RPT that I know makes at least that, many of them twice
that.

>>So what - credibility - does being an RPT really bring - based on where

I am, I can only see it being bragging rights to the guild. >>

     RPT status is the only trade-accepted designation we have in this
country.  It is proof of ability, even if the bar is set very low.  The only people
I have seen that refuse to be tested are the ones that fear they cannot pass.
    If you want to be accepted as a competent piano technician in the Guild,
RPT is where it's at.  IMHO, the watery excuses for not taking the test will
tell all of those that have taken them exactly where a technician is.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>One site keeps you connected to all your
email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)</HTML>