[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Dec 17 13:49:24 PST 2008

> As far as ETD's, my mentor of 30 years, who - is - an RPT, is now tuning
> exclusively with Cybertuner, reported that all of his customers reported
> that the pianos have never sounded better.
>
> Enough said,

Not quite. Thirty years ago, the test as it now exists,
didn't. A committee of a couple of locals took a look at the
applicant's tuning and decided he did or didn't pass. Some
folks who passed that tuning test could actually tune, or
learned to later, and some couldn't and never did. Some who
could tune, didn't pass as a result of prejudicial politics,
which is why the tests are what they are now. They currently
represent a reasonable and objectively evaluated minimal
competence standard.

> Based on where I am, geographically, RPT means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the
> customers - most of them have no idea what that is and don't care !

Oddly, here it's starting to be noticed once in a while, and
has been good for referrals. I've never been asked to produce
a membership card, nor do I typically sign correspondence with
RPT. To me, credibility is in the quality of the information
and/or work, not the pedigree. There's not much BTU potential
in a diploma when it's cold outside, but a reputation for good
honest work can pay the gas bill for a long time. I maintain
PTG membership because that's the source of my professional
education. I soaked up a lot of information from the other
members, RPT and not, and continue to. Seems only right to pay
for the privilege in continued membership.

> In 2000, before I got laid off, I was making $56,000 per year.  Add 8
> years onto that, who is making that kind of money now ?

If you aren't, with over two year's shop backlog, you're
working too cheap.

> Oh, by the way, I have and studied the PACE books and have committed a
> lot to memory.

Congratulations, but couldn't you have just looked it up?

> Even my mentor, who IS an RPT, has never really been asked to explain
> what RPT stands for and never really gotten any more business because of
> it. In fact, he has been in long enough to have the previous name,
> something like, Allied Tradesman?

Yes, it was Allied Tradesman. This was the designation for
members who did rebuild, repair, refinish work on pianos but
didn't tune. What is now RPT was Craftsman. Starting
designation was Student, followed by Apprentice.

> So what - credibility - does being an RPT really bring - based on where
> I am, I can only see it being bragging rights to the guild.
>
> Duaine

No credibility whatsoever of itself, except to those who don't
know the difference. I've known highly credentialed RPTs I
wouldn't want anywhere near any piano of mine. Having attended
more than one convention, I've noticed a peculiar lack of RPT
bragging and posturing. Folks tend to stand around talking to
one another like actual humans regardless of what their
respective badges say. It's a mystery, for sure.

Ron N