[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status"

Raymond Irving rirvingbas2 at mac.com
Thu Dec 18 16:07:58 PST 2008

Greetings ladies and gentlemen of the list,

After reading all the back and forth on this subject, I feel compelled
to weigh in. As a proud Associate member, I look forward to having my
skills tested during the RPT exams,and am working hard to get myself
ready to test. I use my RCT, which has the terrific RPT Exam function.
Talk about an objective standard! Of course, I use this function only
during my private, strictly aural, practice. I intend to take the exam
aurally, since, as many of you point out, what if the machine breaks,
or there is a power failure in the home. As to beat counting, checks,
etc., would not those aural checks become more and more natural, as
opposed to mere “memorization”, the more they are used, that is,
practiced?

I know the argument that ETDs are a crutch. I see them more and more
as a training aid. My analogy (perhaps a poor one) is this:
ballplayers using steroids are getting bigger and stronger, but
juicing doesn't  really have a positive effect on their eye at the
plate, or their motor skills. Those skill can be developed. In the
same way, the fine motor skills needed for the tuning lever only come
through hard work. Ask me how I know.

In the same vein, I own several action models, which I use, again, for
my own practice purposes.

Thanks for letting me rant.

BTW, a huge thank you to all the RPTs (and Associates!) both on this
list, and in person, from whom I learn so much.

Ray Irving (someday to be an) RPT