[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status" (pianolover 88)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 06:18:53 PST 2008

> Nope. RESULTS are the only thing that count. A guy with RPT status and
> tunes only by ear is still human, and thus subject to inconsistency
> and miscalculations like anybody else. Does it guarantee that he/she
> will be a 100% perfection at all times? The only "credential" that
> matters to me or my clients, is the quality of my work; not just
> tuning, but everything else, from simple repairs to complete
> restorations. It's like being a certified black belt in karate. Does
> than mean you can kick anyone's ass in a street fight who is not a
> karate expert? In some cases maybe, but there would be plenty of
> guys-who never had formal training in fighting-who could wipe the
> floor with them. Results, results, results. Location, location,
> location.
>
> I let my work speak for itself. So far my loyal customers very much
> like what they've been hearing!
>
> Terry Peterson
> Accurate Piano Service
> UniGeezer.com <http://unigeezer.com/>
> "Going to the /extreme/...on just ONE wheel!"

Well, Terry, then you have no need of a credential in your personal
business. But you see, that is not the point of professional
credentials. The point of professional credentials is to establish
industry-wide standards that can be publicly accepted. And professional
credentials may not have a visible effect on the individual practice of
a given practitioner as much as they do on the public image of the
profession as a whole - and eventually on everyone's income level. And
if you study the history of professions such as medicine, nursing, law,
engineering, the construction trades, realty sales - just to give you
samples from various walks of life - you will see that they went through
that development of credentials or licensing with a resulting rise in
status and overall income. Back in the early days that same
"free-for-all" attitudes prevailed "I am judged by my results" - with
the result that there was a handful of competent, trusted individual
practitioners, and the profession as a whole was held in ill repute. And
if you don't believe me, just read some of the things  Mark Twain had to
say about doctors and engineers - reflecting the reality of his day.
Doctors as mountebanks and nostrum peddlers, engineers as glorified
mechanics who sometimes managed to design things that worked and stood
up... Or how nurses in World War I are treated - bedpan emptiers and
bandage changers, glorified servants who did the dirty work - not
medical professionals. And I remember myself from my childhood how
"house salesmen:" were viewed when I was a kid - losers who failed at
everything else. Sound familiar? And each one of these professions
elevated its status through the same process:
1.They developed a body of knowledge that goes above and beyond merely
that which is necessary to achieve satisfactory results for most
applications but encompasses an in-depth understanding of how and why
what they do works and the ability to justify and explain it all. Way
beyond the mere mechanics of the trade.
2. Developed a process of training and examinations whereby this
knowledge and competence can be demonstrated and a publicly accepted
credential awarded.

This is what - in the eyes of the public - constitutes a "professional"
with all the respect and a presumption of  trust that entails. And we in
the piano trades are just starting on this journey of elevating our
trade  from the pits in which it has been forever to perhaps some day to
be considered a - profession? Rather than something that someone just
falls into, like a waiter or a cabdriver? And if anybody thinks that we
are treated like professionals, think again. When was the last time your
opinion about pianos was discounted in favor of that of a trombonist or
a singer? Because they are "music professionals" with a degree - and you
are just a "tradesman", a "retread" a :"failed musician", etc. etc?

Building up the RPT credential has the potential of elevating the status
of our profession, eventually, if we do it right and put sufficient
resources into it. It's been done before and it works. At this point the
main benefits will accrue not to me personally  but to those just
entering the profession now (I do get occasional calls inquiring about
RPT status - the recently inaugurated web-based promotion campaign is
working. But then I personally don't really need it - my practice is
pretty full...). But then, any of this sort of  "looking to the future"
for the sake of the "common good"  involves a certain amount of altruism
and looking beyond oneself. A trait that's, apparently, missing in some
people...

Israel Stein