[pianotech] Little Cloth "Mutes"

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Dec 19 13:51:14 PST 2008

William,

>How would you go about moving the duplex bar?

Like this. Take to the plate with an angle grinder and cut out the
original bars. Build up the plate to an appropriate profile upon
which to mount some custom made, hardened and nickel plated new front
duplex bars, and reassemble.

http://users.tpg.com.au/ronovers/st62frntdplx.jpg

The treble bridge scale is my design from 1992, and that's why the
bridge-pin line conforms to a curve in this piano.

This piano had a wonderfully clean top end, was a fine piano, and one
of two older model Ds at the Sydney ABC (the other had standard front
duplexes which we re-profiled and hardened but which were still
noisy). Last June the ABC took delivery of two relatively
unspectacular new Hamburg model D pianos.

Which of the older Ds did they trade? Why the cleaner sounding one of course.

I've only been tuning, rebuilding and servicing the ABC pianos for
twenty eight years. Clearly I haven't been there long enough for my
opinion to be trusted just yet.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY