[pianotech] Little Cloth "Mutes"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 19 16:08:24 PST 2008

John Formsma wrote:

> I'll vouch for it being "wonderfully clean."  My Mom's "Steinway" M you
> did has a beautiful treble.

Thank you, Sir.

> What do you do to "build it back up level"?  I know brass half round,
> but anything else below that?  I also noticed on Mom's M that you filled
> the middle tuning pin holes where you changed the trichords to bichords
> (above the tenor break).  With what do you fill those?
> --
> JF

Same stuff in both instances, as well as the plate perimeter
holes to accommodate a smaller diameter bolt - a mixture of
epoxy, a little colloidal silica, and iron I ground off of the
plate removing the duplexes. You know, STUFF. The photo shows
the highly sophisticated Arkansas Chrome (duct tape) dam in
place, and the filler spread. After curing, pull the tape and
level  the stuff with a right angle die grinder and sanding
disc. Goggles, respirator, and ear savers required for all
grinding operations. Makes a tremendous mess in the shop too.

Ron N