[pianotech] Onesti Balance hole repair system

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 19 19:21:34 PST 2008

Yes.  It works well and I have used it successfully several times but there
are some things to consider.  When the job is done you want to be sure that
the front of the keys are indexed to each other so that they all perfectly
aligned without any creeping forward (or back).  Since pulley keys by
definition have an elongated balance rail hole, finding exactly where the
indexed center of that hole is can be tricky.  Rather than using all the
different sized pilot tools to measure the size of the hole for each
individual key I think it is preferable to glue a balance rail punching to
the bottom of the key and then set the keys on the key frame and make sure
they are perfectly aligned while the glue dries.  Then when you remove the
key you will only need a single pilot to locate the center of the glued on
punching.  The seating tool (the cutter that cuts the hole in the bottom of
the key to receive the insert) will easily remove the punching from the
bottom of the key in the process of cutting.

On the last job I did the felt punchings were in very good shape and tight
to the balance rail pin and if you use a card or paper punching it must be
snug to the balance rail pin with no play.  Since my intention was to
replace the felt punching anyway, I simply took each key off, put  a spot of
glue around the hole and set the key back on the punching carefully aligning
the fronts of the keys as I went down the row.  After a couple of minutes I
lifted each key up with the punching now a attached to the bottom of the key
which I used as a guide for the pilot tool.  I simply chose a pilot tool
that was easily centered over the hole in the punching.  This method is, I
believe faster than indexing each key with a pilot tool and it has the
benefit of allowing you to index the front of the keys at the same time.
The question then arises whether or not you need all 20 pilot tools.  I'll
let each person answer that for themselves.

Other than that, a laminate flush trim router bit for the sides of the key
and a sharp chisel (is there any other kind) to level the insert to the
bottom of the key and you're in business.   A cross vise is nice, otherwise
you need something to brace the key against while cutting.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com