[pianotech] Onesti Balance hole repair system

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Dec 20 16:09:36 PST 2008

Right,

I use (and I believe Ralph stills sells) poplar.  Works very well.  I recently have done new windows in my home and used 5/4 poplar for the exterior trimwork.  I used leftovers from those flat sawn boards, and sliced off strips for insert blanks.  Perfect quarter sawn poplar strips!  And, since it is leftovers, no cost (takes about 5 minutes on the table saw to set up and rip off as many strips as you need.

William R. Monroe

  One other thing, the advice Onesti gives is not to use maple since it is too hard and tends to get noisy if the fit is at all loose.

  David Love

  SNIP

        That system would work much better if the inserts were made of maple or some other hardwood.