[pianotech] Fw: Emailing: balance hole repair

bobdavis88 at aol.com bobdavis88 at aol.com
Sat Dec 20 19:12:42 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----

From: Jack Houweling <jackhouweling at dccnet.com>

To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

Sent: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 6:21 pm

Subject: [pianotech] Fw: Emailing: balance hole repair

Hi Ryan,

?

I just did a set and it did not cost me anything
except for the time in my shop. I did it the Spurlock way.

I used what I had in my shop, a piece of metal for
the jig with a couple of centre?pins soldered in?for
markers

and some maple for inserts.

?

Jack??

Hi Jack,

We've used this method with success, too. We use poplar for the inserts, though, because of the possibility of the hard maple rattling later. The problem that David Love mentioned, alignment at the fronts of the keys, we take care of by clamping the action to the table, then using a piece of 1" angle aluminum with the vertical side toward the keys, moved fore and aft until all the keyfronts will touch it as the keytop lip rests on it. We leave that also clamped in place while we use the marker gauge, putting the marker on the balance pin, then carefully sliding the key down the pin until the front and lip touch the angle aluminum just before the key hits the marker, then press the key onto the marker pins. Of course we want to see the balance pins in a neat line first, if possible.

Bob Davis