[pianotech] scratch removal

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Dec 21 12:05:51 PST 2008

Otherwise, yes, use #0000 steel wool and wool lube.  If the scratches are deeper, p600 grit wet/dry.  If still deeper, P400 or at most P220 grit.  Use just enough to get them, you don't want to sand through - lot's more work (DAMHIK).

And yes, I second the motion to remove the fallboard first.  ;-]

William R. Monroe

  Charles:
      You can use wool lube and steel wool.  Be careful not to rub too hard...  But I found a  better way, which is to use fine pumice and a damp cloth or sponge.  Wet the sponge, wring it out and sprinkle some pumice powder on it.  Rub in the direction of the grain/scratch lines.  Don't rub too hard but let the powder do the work.  Clean up with a clean and damp cloth and remove all traces of moisture.  It's easier if you remove the fallboad first so nothing gets on the keys.
      Good luck.
      Paul McCloud
      San Diego

  Charles wrote:
    I want to remove the surface  fingernail scratches on a Steinway fallboard and generally improve the overall look of the case.  Black (satin) finish.  I remember some postings about this in the past but can't gain access to the archives beyond the past two months.  McGuires auto  finishing polish?  Wool-wax and steel wool?  All suggestions welcome because it would be good to get this right the first time.  Happy Holidays  all.